Best accident lawyers of Chicago - Don Kurasch and Dan Klein!
The good lawyer is not the man who has an eye to every side and angle of contingency, and qualifies all his qualifications, but who throws himself on your part so heartily, that he can get you out of a scrape. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Today we'd like to introduce you one of the best law firm of Chicagoland Ku rasch & Klein, Ltd. With 66 years of combined experience, the trial lawyers at Kurasch & Klein have successfully represented clients in plaintiffs’ personal injury, medical malpractice, and workers’ compensation cases.
Don Kurasch is the founding partner in the firm. He was admitted to practice in Illinois in 1972, following his graduation from the University of Illinois College of Law. Don has won many millions of dollars for his clients over the years, including two recently litigated cases resulting in settlements of 7.5 million dollars and 4.8 million dollar, in addition to a trial verdict of $4.8 million. He was recently voted to the list of the top 100 trial lawyers by the National Trial Lawyer, and he has been named to the list of the top 5% of all Illinois' lawyers every year since the inception of the selection process.
Daniel A Klein is a partner in the firm. Following graduation from Ohio State University College of Law, Dan was admitted to the Illinois bar in 1990 and the Florida bar in 1994. He practices primarily in plaintiff's per sonal injury and medical malpractice litigation. He has tried hundreds of jury cases and arbitrations to successful verdicts.
Dan has recovered millions of dollars in settlements and verdicts for his clients. Recently litigated medical malpractice, trucking accidents, and commercial disputes, resulted in recoveries of $4.8 million, $2.4 million, two results of 1.65 million, and $1.375. He also recently obtained a verdict of $10 million in a construction accident case.
Dan was recently voted to the list of Illinois' top 100 lawyers by both the Illinois Super Lawyers and National Trial Lawyers. He has been consistently named to the list of the top 5% of all Illinois' lawyers.
1. Don and Dan, your names are among the best lawyers at Illinois (super-lawyers). Is it easy to be the best?
It is very important to us that our fellow lawyers and judges vote to recognize us each year as being among the top lawyers in Illinois, and in the country. We work very hard for all of our clients, so it is very gratifying that other lawyers recognize that hard work. Working hard is easy, because we care so much about each of our clients, and we both have that strong desire to do everything necessary to win for our clients.
2. Can you tell our readers little bit about your company? What kind injury cases do you taking as usual?
We are trial lawyers, and in most of our cases we represent people who are injured. Many of our cases involve automobile accidents, but we also represent people who are injured when they slip and fall, when they are injured at work, when they are injured while living in nursing homes, or when they are injured by doctors who are taking care of them. We take on pretty much any kind of case where someone is injured. As trial lawyers, we also sometimes represent people or companies in contract disputes, and almost any time someone needs a trial lawyer to go to court for them.
3. What do you see ahead for your company in the next five years?
Don has been practicing law for 43 years, and Dan has been practicing law for 25 years. Together with our young associate, Tyler Bohman, we look at every year ahead, for the next five years and beyond, as a new year of fighting tough for our clients. That is what we always do, and that goal remains as every new year is another year of working hard, and doing what we do best for our clients.
4. What do you consider to be your firm's most important assets?
Our firm’s most important assets are our spirit and determination to win. We care so much about every single one of our clients as individuals, and over the years, our satisfied clients continue to be our most important source of new cases. We are so gratified when former clients continue to refer family members, neighbors, friends and acquaintances to our firm whenever they know someone who has been injured and needs a tough lawyer.
5. What are your goals?
Our goals remain the same every single year – to work as hard as we possibly can, and to win for our clients. A satisfied client is always our most important goal.
6. What have been the keys to success in this business?
The most important key to our success is our absolute determination to do everything to win for our clients. As Dan Klein likes to always say, it is not just the determination to win every case, it is our determination to always work hard to prepare to win. It is easy to want to win, but it is our love of the hard work always necessary to prepare to win.
7. What were your biggest personal injury cases?
- We have been fortunate over the years to have been able to win many millions of dollars for our clients. It is always especially gratifying when we win cases that other lawyers have turned down, such as the $7.5 million dollars we won for a young boy seriously injured in an unusual car accident. We took on that case when two other law firms turned the family away because they didn’t believe in the case. We have also won millions of dollars for clients injured in construction accidents, and in our cases against doctors who have injured our clients when they made mistakes while treating their patients.
8. How would the lawyers of your company go about handling situation? What is the process?
- From the very moment a new case comes into our office, the care preparation of every case begins. That preparation often involves finding witnesses to get their statements, bringing in all of the police and ambulance reports, bringing in all of the medical records, and taking pictures of accident scenes, cars and other machines, and pictures of our injured clients. After that, we carefully put together the entire timeline from the moment an accident happens, to the time a case is settled or goes to trial. We spend a lot of time preparing our clients for everything they have to do to help us prepare their case, researching the law for every case, and we constantly recheck every part of our cases to make sure we haven’t missed a single thing while putting our cases together to win for our clients.
9. What types of experts would the lawyer use to prove your case?
- Hired experts and treating experts are very important parts of all of our cases. Every single injury case involves being in touch with treating doctors, who are all experts in their fields. Then we often hire outside doctors to testify for our clients. We often hire many different kinds of engineers, construction experts, and human factors experts. We always know where to go to hire the very best experts in the country for any kind of case.
10. If accident happened do we need a Legal Claim? Can people handle the case on their own or do they need an attorney?
- It is always best to consult with an experienced attorney in any kind of case. Our experience has taught us that even when cases seem simple, someone with a case who tries to pursue that case without an attorney can easily make simple mistakes that hurt their cases, sometimes badly. Attorneys have the experience and training to make sure every single case is prepared properly from beginning to end.
11. Should we accept the insurance company settlement?
- As lawyers, we always advise our clients whether they should, or should not, accept a settlement. There are so many factors that go into a decision of whether or not to accept a settlement, and sometimes it is a hard decision. But in the end, the decision of whether or not to accept a settlement will always involve the best interests of our clients.
13. How do you estimate what is case worth?
- There are many, many factors that determine the value of a case. We evaluate the seriousness of the injury, we look at how the accident happened, and whether or not we think the other side has a chance of winning. We look at the age of our client, we look at the strength of witnesses on our side, and we research other verdicts in similar cases in the state. There are simply many factors that go into the careful determination of every individual case.
14. Will person be responsible for any advanced case costs at all if you lose?
- Our clients are never responsible for advancing any of the case costs for their cases. Our clients also never have to pay any attorney fees until we win, and that is the only time that costs and fees are determined, and paid from the case, but never from the pockets of our clients
15. Someone in your office speaking in Russian, Ukrainian or Polish?
- At Kurasch & Klein, we have employees who speak Polish, Russian and Spanish. We also have access to translators who help us communicate with clients in Ukrainian, or any other language.
16. And number one: What we should do after a car accident happened?
- Any time any kind of an accident results in an injury, the most important thing to do is to get all of the emergency medical care necessary. Then, as soon as possible, it is important to contact an experienced injury law firm, such as Kurasch & Klein, so the process can begin at the earliest time possible to put together the strongest possible case.
Interviewed by Olga Ruda